Register

Topic-icon Newborn lamb with neck bending back

• funnyfarm2
  • funnyfarm2's Avatar Topic Author
  • New lsb member
  • Thank you received: 0
10 Jul 2018 13:23 #540900 by funnyfarm2

Hi folks.

I have a new born lamb. It was a bit crumpled looking when born but was feeding ok. The next day I found it almost dead. It was very cold and the muscles in the neck are cramping causing it's head to turn backwards. I have warmed it up and given it pain relief and massaged neck to help with cramps. Does anyone know what the cause of this is or what the ailment is called?
Fingers crossed for a good outcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 364
10 Jul 2018 16:53 #540906 by LongRidge

Was the ewe vaccinated within a year ago, and received it's booster about a month after that, and again about a month ago? If so was the vaccine selenised, and was the vaccine 5-in-1 or 10-in-1.
Can it poo? ie does it have enough holes?
With lambs like these we give antibiotic injection, and selenium, potassium iodide and B12 (cobalt) out of an eyedropper or plastic syringe. Remember that the minerals must be given in a tiny drop. We do it orally.
It also needs to be tube fed at least 100 ml of colostrum which you will need to milk out of the ewe. This is important, to check that the ewe has milk that is flowing.

• funnyfarm2
  • funnyfarm2's Avatar Topic Author
  • New lsb member
  • Thank you received: 0
10 Jul 2018 19:56 #540910 by funnyfarm2

Thanks for all that. Yes, the ewe has been vaccinated annually about a month before lambing. The lamb was weeing & pooing & feeding at first. The twin was perfect. I was hoping someone might know what the cause was....
I think it was squashed in the womb and suffered neck cramps because of it. It got severe hypothermia overnight. I brought it in and warmed it up and gave colostrum but it didn't survive.

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.