Register

Topic-icon bait for rat trap

• Hawkspur
  • Hawkspur's Avatar Topic Author
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 124
07 Jul 2018 18:51 #540841 by Hawkspur

We recently were given a rat trap (victor snap kill trap in wooden box) and it said to bait with peanut butter. We don't want to buy this just for the rats, so wonder whether tahini would be just as desirable? The alternative in the cupboard is cashew butter, but that's too pricey for them to get.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 286
07 Jul 2018 21:37 #540844 by Ruth

We buy a bottle of the most disgusting, cheap, Chinese-made peanut butter that nobody should eat, on the basis that if the trap doesn't kill whatever eats it, the peanut butter will. It only ever gets used for the traps.

• Alan Gilbert
  • advanced lsb member
  • Thank you received: 21
08 Jul 2018 10:56 #540860 by Alan Gilbert

Peanut butter is disgusting—the smell alone is enough to cause nausea, and as for the thought of actually eating it...

However, I am not a rat, and rats just love the stuff, particularly its oiliness. We bait our mouse traps with Pics Really Good Peanut Butter Slugs. It comes in small sachets, which means that it doesn't dry out in storage, and one can squeeze the horrible stuff onto the trap without getting it on one's fingers. It is VERY effective, and not expensive.

• Thank you received: 35
08 Jul 2018 14:58 #540865 by Wren

I bought cheap peanut butter especially for traps recently and haven't caught anything yet - not sure if it is the bait or if I don't have the placement right.

Although I did read an article on the Predator Free 2050 website recently that specified the best bait as Pics peanut butter - I was astonished to find that the rats will only eat the expensive stuff!! Think I might try apple cores next, but who knows what works.....

Muddling our way through 1Ha on the Christchurch Port Hills, with flocks of heritage chickens, Silver Appleyard ducks, Gotland sheep, and Arapawa goats.

• Thank you received: 35
08 Jul 2018 15:02 #540866 by Wren

Tell a lie, it was a Wilderness magazine artile that talked about pics peanut butter - it says: As for those rat baits. “We’ve done heaps of work on lures and the ‘ice cream’ for rats is Pics peanut butter, Nutella (in summer) and an egg mayonnaise, which is also good for stoats. Nothing else is better, just those three.”

Full article here: www.wildernessmag.co.nz/closing-zip-possums/

And I found this when I was looking that the PF2050 website, which says "wild rats preferred cheese, milk chocolate, Nutella and walnut to the peanut butter standard"

Full article here: predatorfreenz.org/better-baits-and-better-trapping/

Guess I wont bother with those apple cores, then...... :whistle:

Muddling our way through 1Ha on the Christchurch Port Hills, with flocks of heritage chickens, Silver Appleyard ducks, Gotland sheep, and Arapawa goats.
Last Edit: 08 Jul 2018 15:03 by Wren.

• Thank you received: 286
08 Jul 2018 15:23 #540867 by Ruth

Bastards. Fussy bastards.

• Thank you received: 56
08 Jul 2018 17:38 #540870 by Anakei

I've just read a book about Venice.The City of Falling Angels by John Barendt. One of the characters had made his fortune in rat bait. Here's a quote

" And he said, `Rat poison.' And he said, `I have the biggest-selling rat poison in the world. I have 30 percent of the rat poison market.' I said, `What's your secret?' He said, `Well, my competitors all study rats, I study people, because rats eat what people eat. Therefore, Venetian rats'--he pointed to my plate--`would be happy to eat what you have on your plate. A German rat would turn his nose up at it because he's used to pork fat. So in my German rat poison, I make sure to put pork fat in. In the Paris or France, I have butter. In America, I have vanilla and pop corn. My competition in every city is the garbage.' "

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

• Thank you received: 17
08 Jul 2018 20:57 #540872 by sandgrubber

Tahini's too good for them.
Pnut butter, specially the cheap stuff, is wonderful sticky and excellent for inducing the rat to trigger the mechanism. Nutella would probably be good for the same reason. The all natural stuff is more oily and less sticky.

• Alan Gilbert
  • advanced lsb member
  • Thank you received: 21
08 Jul 2018 22:10 #540873 by Alan Gilbert

I believe it's the oiliness that is the chief attractant.

• Thank you received: 17
09 Jul 2018 05:44 #540875 by sandgrubber

Alan Gilbert wrote: I believe it's the oiliness that is the chief attractant.

Oil+protein. Cheese would work but the clever buggers learn to grab it without triggering the trap.

• Thank you received: 152
09 Jul 2018 12:10 #540880 by tonybaker

well, they all seem to go for rat poison and humans don't eat that! I find traps are frustrating as rodents are so clever at overcoming them. My most effective trap is one that I don't put bait in at all. I just shove it up against the skirting board next to the wood range. They run out and trigger the trap. Best option long term is a suitable bait programme.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, ducks, Kune Kune pigs, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

• Thank you received: 0
09 Jul 2018 13:28 #540884 by Kokamo

I've been using supermarket brand no salt peanut butter & caught about 17 mice with it, but so far not a single rat, even though I often put both traps in the same tunnel. I'm sure there are rats around because they're eating through the plastic of my compost bin, I don't think mice do that. Sounds like I need to improve the quality of the bait to catch the rats, the nerve of the little rodents, how dare they have good taste in peanut butter.

• Hawkspur
  • valued contributor
10 Jul 2018 14:43 #540901 by Hawkspur

Thanks everyone.
So far, they have not gone for the tahini, but perhaps they don't frequent the area where I have set the trap. They were there last winter but may have moved on.

I'll give it a bit longer, then try another spot before resorting to buying peanut butter. :P

I think we have reduced the number of rats in the generator shed, because I found a gecko in there the other night. I had to catch it quickly before the dog spotted it. She is always keen to get into the shed on the hunt for the rats and I would rather she didn't get interested in geckos.

I wonder whether anyone ever has done dog aversion training for geckos instead of kiwi?

• Hawkspur
  • valued contributor
10 Jul 2018 17:54 #540908 by Hawkspur

Hah. It seems tahini is desirable, but it turns out the trap needs to be on the sensitive/soft setting,, and I had it on midway between that and firm. At least I know they are interested.

• Hawkspur
  • valued contributor
13 Jul 2018 12:55 #540936 by Hawkspur

And we have success!
:lol:

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.