Register

Topic-icon Sheep handler solution/recommendation

• njb
  • njb's Avatar Topic Author
  • New lsb member
  • Thank you received: 0
04 Jul 2018 21:50 #540783 by njb

any recommendations or ideas on sheep handlers ...am having to consider one if want to keep managing our Wiltshire’s feet due to deteriorating wrist on non dominant hand. Did anyone see anything at Fieldays that might be worth looking at or have used one on small block? If anyone has one for sale BOP region PM me?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• meadowlands
  • advanced lsb member
  • Thank you received: 5
07 Jul 2018 14:58 #540830 by meadowlands

I’ve got a Combi Clamp, love it. They have a website and there are clips on You Tube of them in use.

• Thank you received: 286
07 Jul 2018 16:06 #540834 by Ruth

I've been dealing with Wayne (by phone) and Lynley (at the Fieldays) at Combiclamp and they've been lovely. I keep having extended conversations with Wayne every now and then which have been very entertaining and enjoyable. We'll be in receipt of a big load of cattle crush equipment in a couple of months.

• Baroque
  • valued contributor
  • Arapawa sheep wrangler & spinner of fine wools
  • Thank you received: 29
11 Jul 2018 10:09 #540914 by Baroque

I've upgraded the old Hecton we had to one of the Stronghold galvanised ones and it's great for tipping them completely upside down! You can still tip them on their side for dagging or whatever as well.

I do need to make up some pool noodle type packers for the arms that hold the sheep as our Arapawas are more of a an elongated oval shape and generally a lot smaller around the barrel than the hybrids it was obviously designed for, but its a pretty good bit of gear and is virtually escape-proof which the Hecton wasn't. We had a number of the nimble ones jump out of that old handler and having a large + grumpy ram charging at you at face/chest height out of the handler isn't something enjoyable!

The new one holds our young rams well - even ones with big horns like ours and is a bi-directional design so you can use it with sheep going in any direction, plus it makes a good constraining area for applying flystrike preventative to the whole sheep without the sheep being restrained as they just stand inside it and the floor is off the ground so it drains well too. Having gates at each end of it makes it a bit safer to use too while you close the arms around the sheep.

A lot cheaper than some of the other ones too.

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

• spoook
  • valued contributor
  • Goatherder
  • Thank you received: 34
14 Jul 2018 11:58 #540952 by spoook

We built this many years ago, is very portable and easy to use. Simple and durable.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"
Attachments:

• Baroque
  • valued contributor
  • Arapawa sheep wrangler & spinner of fine wools
  • Thank you received: 29
18 Jul 2018 10:23 #541019 by Baroque

Haha love the bottle...... looks like she's enjoying a drink!

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.