Topic-icon Composting toilets

• muri
  • muri's Avatar Topic Author
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 164
25 Nov 2016 07:36 #527923 by muri

Am about to make one but anyone got any good ideas.
There are toilet seats that separate the number ones from twos which is probably a good idea as it reduces any smell
The average person probably flushes 100 litres of water per day as a minimum of water usage so it probably makes good sense if you are on tank water as well

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
03 Feb 2017 00:50 #529991 by kairara

Interested in composting toilets as well seen some using sawdust but need to check further, will try to follow post. Have you still got any East Friesians.

• Thank you received: 0
08 Feb 2017 15:37 #530156 by A Hard Rain

We bought an Afrisan separator toilet. It has a solar panel that helps desiccation by keeping the pile warm.
Not that impressed with it. Needed to fit a fan on the breather to stop smell and it leaks into the base. Electrics for the panel/container are very poorly designed and made. Now that I have fixed that its a reasonable unit.
Haven't read this but The Scoop on Poop by Dan Chiras will have some good ideas. Meet him at Ashville last year and he has some great ideas on recycling and saving water.

• Thank you received: 6
13 Feb 2017 17:51 #530275 by natacha

Recommend reading this book: http://humanurehandbook.comThe Humanure Handbook
We use a composting toilet in 20L buckets with sawdust, our garden loves it and it doesn't smell if you cover properly with sawdust.

20 Feb 2017 16:11 #530491 by kairara

Have not looked at book but have heard of it. Does this system work for you. How much sawdust is needed.

• Thank you received: 49
20 Feb 2017 17:24 #530494 by Anakei

Coincidently I stumbled across this while wasting time researching.
www.diyhousebuilding.com/bucket-toilets.html

I am reviewing my earthquake preparedness and this seems a great idea. I would certainly consider this as an option - cheap and convenient. You can buy them as a kit on TM like this
www.trademe.co.nz/sports/camping-outdoor...ction-1262307415.htm

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

• Thank you received: 6
20 Feb 2017 21:36 #530500 by natacha

It's working out great. Obviously the not so glamour part is emptying the buckets, but we're used to it now and it doesn't take long. We have 6 buckets that we rotate, when they're all full we take them to the garden where the compost bin is and empty/ clean them all at once. You need a good thick layer of mulch over the whole pile. We use sawdust in the toilet buckets, you need quite a bit. At the moment we're using well broken down mulch, some friends use a mix of soil and sawdust or mulch, they recon it breaks down faster. The only minus so far has been the rats living in it, although I guess they are turning the compost. When we build our house we'll have to get a commercially designed one (Gisborne council only wants approved composting toilets), but my partner wants to stick to the buckets. Personally I like the idea of the commercial ones, mainly because they have a big compartment so the toilet doesn't need to be emptied that often. It has downsides too though.

01 Jul 2018 07:45 #540718 by kairara

Thanks Natacha have just read this, thanks for posting

01 Jul 2018 10:51 #540728 by thrndg

We bought one and it runs on a small fan 24/7 absolutely no smell and it does not separate.

• Thank you received: 44
01 Jul 2018 11:46 #540729 by Mudlerk

My brother-in law and his partner had a system of reforestation: dig a hole, empty the bucket, put some dirt back in, plant a tree, fill up the hole!

10 Jul 2018 22:36 #540912 by kairara

Thanks for link found it very interesting

20 Jul 2018 23:27 #541074 by Bjorny

We’ve used this style of composting toilet before. The advantage is that there is nothing that can break. The only energy required to make it work is ones own energy. I have friends who have done far more research than me who think this is the best system.

The disadvantage is, of course, regularly emptying the buckets. However a 6 bucket rotation as Natacha has is sensible.

I second the recommendation of The Humanure Handbook.

We’re also considering a vermiculture system.

Time to create page: 0.237 seconds
Go to top