Topic-icon Last night's Country Calendar

• hilldweller
  • hilldweller's Avatar Topic Author
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 44
12 Jul 2009 14:30 #18953 by hilldweller

Anyone else enjoy this? What a neat couple, AND an answer to the perennial 'is it possible to earn an income off a small block of land?' :D

That hay they were feeding out at the beginning looked seriously yummy too. I've got so used to the rained-on crap I'm giving my lot this year I'd forgotten what good hay looks like. Could almost smell it through the TV screen LOL [^][^][^].

hilldweller

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
12 Jul 2009 14:35 #281040 by Country Girl

I thought it was fantastic [8D] and a great move by Country Calendar to show a profitable small block. They lead a fantastic lifestyle and show that you can be sustainable on your own patch - it would be great to see more smaller enterprises featured :D and the hay did look good!

A pessimist is never disappointed

12 Jul 2009 15:21 #281050 by Seaside

I was heartened by the lady (wasn't she inspiring?) saying that they weren't hobby farmers, they were farmers who farm on a small scale.

That's very much how I feel. A hobby is something you do for love, not money, and generally you give away what you make. Take knitting - that is the hobby of many who give their knitting to grandchildren or orphanages or other charities. Yet someone who knits for sale is not a hobbyist.

As a very small scale chilli farmer, I do love chillies, and that's why I've chosen to grow them, but I wouldn't plant the number I do if I didn't want to make some money out of them.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

12 Jul 2009 15:28 #281052 by celt

Yeah I felt that they were inspiring. What a positive attitude, mind you I think the lady was not your usual 60 year old. She has lead quite a life, something to aspire to. Love people who can have a laugh at life and themselves. Country Calendar has been very good this season.

1 kiwi husband, 14 year old boy girl twins. Gave up my beautiful 16 acres north of auckland for 1000m2 in central christchurch! Yikes. Plan to get as much produce out of that 1000m2 as possible.

• Thank you received: 9
12 Jul 2009 15:46 #281058 by eelcat

We felt inspired too. Perfectly timed as a stall (run by someoneelse but selling their cheeses) in Weillington this morning had a queue most of the morning. A lovely couple and so kind to their cows. Just like OH with his!

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees

www.martinboroughmanner.co.nz
martinboroughmanner.blogspot.com/
mycountrylife365nz.blogspot.com/

12 Jul 2009 15:53 #281061 by Jo-Otago

not your usual 60 year old

She wasn't - she was 68!!! [:0] :D Might be a few years left in me yet then... :p Was awesome to see them loving life like that, and what gorgeous moodles!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

12 Jul 2009 16:16 #281063 by bevhawkins

After buying all the cheese making gear and the milk plant set up - I wonder how long it took them to start making profit by selling the cheeses? I make my own and would love to do it their way but I think the set up would be quite expensive to start off with. I thought they were a great couple and agree that their cows were much loved. :)

12 Jul 2009 16:21 #281067 by kitchen

It was a great show. I feel almost inspired to try my hand at cheese-making, almost :-) Bev didn't they say it cost about $58k to set up and they were bringing in around $27k per annum? something along those lines anyway. So it would pay for itself in no time.

• Thank you received: 1
12 Jul 2009 16:40 #281072 by ronnie

kitchen;262275 wrote: It was a great show. I feel almost inspired to try my hand at cheese-making, almost :-) Bev didn't they say it cost about $58k to set up and they were bringing in around $27k per annum? something along those lines anyway. So it would pay for itself in no time.

Yes, seems she got a redundancy payout which enabled them to set up their fantastic shed and cheese room.

• Thank you received: 5
12 Jul 2009 16:54 #281075 by Organix

kitchen;262275 wrote: It was a great show. I feel almost inspired to try my hand at cheese-making, almost :-) Bev didn't they say it cost about $58k to set up and they were bringing in around $27k per annum? something along those lines anyway. So it would pay for itself in no time.

Depends on whether the 'wages' were factored in or not. I suspect they were operating more along the lines of deriving a living for their labour of love but were thoroughly enjoying what they were doing. Two very learned and inspirational people having a ball being head down-tail up in their 'retirement' years. Good on them :)

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

• moonshiner
  • advanced lsb member
12 Jul 2009 16:57 #281077 by moonshiner

A little different than I was expecting but quite surprising, 26 litres a day from a Jersey ain't a bad effort either [;)]

Mind you ever since Kaumea started the thread on cheese making I have been thinking about a house cow...

And I HATE milking [}:)] !

~

The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen. ~Tommy Smothers

• Thank you received: 64
12 Jul 2009 17:55 #281081 by max2

SOH and E recorded it for me and I just watched it.

Yes VERY inspirational and I hoped my parents watched it as well. I do believe though they mentioned several times that the property was a bolt hole for them away from their main residence in the early days. it was only after he was made redundant that they choose to move to the property as a lifestyle choice.... so for those starting out, take heart, it can be done, but it does take time, money (for set up and purchase) and hard yakka. I would hate for a newbie to think they could walk in and expect the same in their first year, with a blank canvas to begin with.

That couple were a credit though, and yes I reckon CC has been great this year too!

• Jack
  • Visitor
12 Jul 2009 18:33 #281083 by Jack

Gidday

moonshiner;262287 wrote: A little different than I was expecting but quite surprising, 26 litres a day from a Jersey ain't a bad effort either [;)]

And I HATE milking [}:)] !

Well I just don't believe that. A jersey giving that much milk, it is probably 26 litres from the 4 cows.

• moonshiner
  • advanced lsb member
12 Jul 2009 19:02 #281091 by moonshiner

I have no experience with Jerseys Jack and I may have misheard but I thought she said from her first cow she was getting 26 litres a day

I have worked with an extremely selectively bred Freisan herd that was averaging 22.25 litres a day per cow with no supplementary feeding

~

The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen. ~Tommy Smothers

12 Jul 2009 20:27 #281117 by betenoir

I can confirm (from 4 years of herd testing) that 26 litres a day is achievable by exceptional Jerseys. I only had two farms that got that amount of milk out of their Jerseys. Both were small farms (100 odd cows) that concentrated on producing high quality stud cows and by 'normal' dairy farm standards their cows were spoilt rotten. Warm water udder washes at every milking, treats in the cow shed etc. And they usually cleaned up at every locval A & P show. Guess quality sometimes pays off over quantity

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

• Jack
  • Visitor
12 Jul 2009 21:10 #281125 by Jack

Gidday

And Betenoir, how many where doing 26 Lt. per day with once a day milking?

• homebirther1
  • advanced lsb member
12 Jul 2009 21:38 #281133 by homebirther1

I thought it was great too! It has also made me feel inspired to get house cow and start making our own cheese lol I'm thinking this won't be doable until our youngest is at school, when I have a bit more time on my hands? the thought is great anyhow. Good on them!!

12 Jul 2009 21:49 #281137 by gaalburn

Hi Jack..... :)

How are you ..... good to say Hi.

You are worse than me........B quiet !! :)
Hope the log is on the fire.. Happy fire sitting.

Gaalburn.

'Too much of a good thing may be wonderful.'

• Thank you received: 96
12 Jul 2009 22:47 #281148 by Ronney

While it was a nice little program, I didn't see it as inspirational. I saw two older people nearing the end of their lives, without family and committments, putting their money into something a young person couldn't afford to do, not making a living out of it (hence the model railway) but enjoying doing what they were doing.

They were returning an income of $26,000 and I would assume that was gross. By the time tax, GST, rates, ACC, power, stock food, insurance and other sundry expenses were taken out of that, it would have shrunk considerably.

The capital expenditure that has to be sunk into this type of venture (in this case $58,000 on top of the initial purchase of the land, tree planting, fencing etc. that they had already done) has to be looked at very closely as to whether it is economically viable in terms of possible income and over-capitalization of land. For this couple it doesn't matter because it will their last venture. And that was how I looked at the program - they can't take their money with them so they spent it doing what they enjoyed. For a younger person I would say it would be a very bad investment.

Cheers,
Ronnie

• Toni - Northland
  • Visitor
13 Jul 2009 09:35 #281184 by Toni - Northland

I didn't see the programme, but it sounds like what Althea was doing?

• Thank you received: 5
13 Jul 2009 10:09 #281190 by Organix

Program, and other past episodes of Country Calender available here: http://tvnz.co.nz/country-calendar/s2009-e21-video-2837466

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

13 Jul 2009 11:05 #281197 by beedee

I only saw the shorts and YES that was the reason they started doing the cheese as the cow... by herself..... was producing 26l/day.
caring for some of the folk I do who think that once they turn 65 means give up etc etc. the inspiration might be for those arriving at that milestone to see that they dont have to clean the house every morning while they wait for death to arrive.. and when it doesnt curse the world.. and been doing that for the past 25yrs plus.
I think it gets repeated next sun morn so I shall try to watch then.. I need inspiration

• Pumpkingirl
  • valued contributor
  • Thank you received: 1
13 Jul 2009 11:20 #281202 by Pumpkingirl

I didn't see it but I presume it was about Biddy and her husband and their housecow/s?

Growing Today did an article on her a couple of years ago and I found it very inspiring, and Biddy is so lovely. When she rang me to say her original cow (Gwendolyn) had died, I cried. Then she told me they'd probably eat her last offspring (a bull). So practical :D

I agree with Beedee - I think it's a great example of use it or lose it, and how you can be useful in your life, or not.

Perhaps a young person can or can't do what she's doing, but then most of the examples of farms I see on Country Calendar aren't achieveable for anyone young or old unless you have (or had) rich, land-owning parents, or married into a family that did/does.

• Thank you received: 64
13 Jul 2009 16:33 #281263 by max2

beedee;262421 wrote: I only saw the shorts and YES that was the reason they started doing the cheese as the cow... by herself..... was producing 26l/day.
caring for some of the folk I do who think that once they turn 65 means give up etc etc. the inspiration might be for those arriving at that milestone to see that they dont have to clean the house every morning while they wait for death to arrive.. and when it doesnt curse the world.. and been doing that for the past 25yrs plus.
I think it gets repeated next sun morn so I shall try to watch then.. I need inspiration

Beedee that is how I look at it too, My folks are only a bit older and its just like they are waiting to die, whereas (hopefully) if they saw the programme, perhaps they might just have given them a kick in the pants to get them out of their chairs... (as cruel as that sounds).

13 Jul 2009 16:38 #281264 by Lea2109

I do find stories like that inspirational. I didn't see the show, but read about it on the country calendar site and it does give me ideas for when we will hopefully eventually be able to get our LSB.

You can't choose what happens in life, but you can choose how you handle it.

Our blog: livinglifenowinkiwiland.blogspot.com

Our Advent Calendar Project: livinglifenowinkiwilandcountdown.blogspot.com

18 Jul 2018 21:34 #541035 by martin-k

Jo-Otago wrote: She was 68!!!

Might be a few years left in me yet then...

It turns out she had exactly nine years left: Biddy died on 13 July 2018.

Her death, and life, was reported in Stuff .

Time to create page: 0.380 seconds
Go to top