Log in

Register



Topic-icon persimmon seed

  • RichardW
  • RichardW's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • valued contributor
  • Posts: 1414
  • Thank you received: 5
07 Jun 2015 08:16 #39722 by RichardW

I'm sure i started a tread here but cant find it where i asked about growing persimmons from seed,cant remember who but someone posted that i would likely end up with trees that produced fruit full of seed,recently i bought some persimmons from Piko Wholefoods in CHCH and these fruit had about 5-6 seeds per fruit, so these must have been an open pollinate variety and is likely to be the type of fruit i would get if i grew them from seed, these persimmons tasted lovely and the amount of seed in these fruit didn't really matter to much,there for i will carry on growing more trees from seed.


Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/


Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 1537
  • Thank you received: 5
11 Jun 2015 16:15 #507851 by Blueberry

I've got 5 persimmon trees aged between 0,5 and 2 years grown from seed - I've got high hopes! :D :D


[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • RichardW
  • RichardW's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • valued contributor
  • Posts: 1414
  • Thank you received: 5
11 Jun 2015 17:04 #507853 by RichardW

How many years do you think they will it take to fruit Blueberry


Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/


Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 3943
  • Thank you received: 39
11 Jun 2015 17:20 #507854 by kai

I have germinated them from seed before, they were doing nicely until I forgot to water them in the middle of summer. I have been looking to find fruit with seeds in ever since. I don't understand the problem with having seeds in as you would be taking out the middle bit anyway even without seeds.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 6418
  • Thank you received: 169
11 Jun 2015 18:28 #507856 by muri

there was an article in Stuff this week on growing them.
The seeds are imported from overseas and the plants are grafted

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Belle Bosse
  • Belle Bosse's Avatar
  • Offline
  • valued contributor
  • Posts: 696
  • Thank you received: 23
15 Jun 2015 13:40 #508045 by Belle Bosse

Would you like me to save the persimmon seeds that Im finding in our organic box's persimmons?

There is about 6 seeds per fruit which gets a bit annoying. Not sure what the pollinator persimmon is for the seeds, but the fruit are nice.
I never take out the middle bit when eating persimmons. It is the nicest part. Only the "dried flower" end gets discarded.
I do have one persimmon seedling growing which is just over a year old and about 30cm tall. Not sure what its fruit will be like or how long till it produces.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 1537
  • Thank you received: 5
18 Jun 2015 11:24 #508146 by Blueberry

RichardW;514502 wrote: How many years do you think they will it take to fruit Blueberry

oh, i'm not holding me breath there, Richard - about 7 - 10 years, would be my guess [:I] :D


[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 1537
  • Thank you received: 5
18 Jun 2015 11:25 #508148 by Blueberry

kai;514503 wrote: I have germinated them from seed before, they were doing nicely until I forgot to water them in the middle of summer. I have been looking to find fruit with seeds in ever since. I don't understand the problem with having seeds in as you would be taking out the middle bit anyway even without seeds.

just nibbling on the last of the organic persimmons i got from Napier last week - i have about 7 seeds - i could spare you a couple if you pm me


[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 1537
  • Thank you received: 5
18 Jun 2015 11:27 #508149 by Blueberry

Belle Bosse;514712 wrote: Would you like me to save the persimmon seeds that Im finding in our organic box's persimmons?

There is about 6 seeds per fruit which gets a bit annoying. Not sure what the pollinator persimmon is for the seeds, but the fruit are nice.
I never take out the middle bit when eating persimmons. It is the nicest part. Only the "dried flower" end gets discarded.
I do have one persimmon seedling growing which is just over a year old and about 30cm tall. Not sure what its fruit will be like or how long till it produces.


must have gotten a better batch from Chantal; i had one fruit with 2 seeds, some with 1 and some without any - so well worth growing, i think.


[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 3
  • Thank you received: 0
02 Jun 2018 23:42 #540225 by LULWORTH

Does anyone have any Persimmons that have seeds, been trying to find some with seeds but no luck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Belle Bosse
  • Belle Bosse's Avatar
  • Offline
  • valued contributor
  • Posts: 696
  • Thank you received: 23
11 Jun 2018 12:37 #540352 by Belle Bosse

To my knowledge, the sweet Fuyu Persimmons are all grafted.

The older astringent Persimmons that had to be soft before eating were more likely to have seeds. They are sometimes used as pollinators. Seed grown, you can't be sure how they will turn out. Someone else might have some more info of where to find seed.

If you want a guaranteed sweet Persimmon, you will have to pay the ($40 +/-) for a tree. I have seen 3 or 4 different names of Fuyu Persimmons in nurseries. We have 4 Fuyu Persimmon trees in our orchard. The trees are still young, about 5 years since planting, and their crop is getting heavier, the fruit bigger and sweeter this year... their 2nd year of cropping. Very pretty Autumn colours.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 979
  • Thank you received: 152
12 Jun 2018 12:55 #540368 by tonybaker

Even if your seeds survive, it's most likely the resulting tree won't be true to type. You are better off doing cuttings, they will be exactly same as parent plant and will grow faster.


5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, ducks, Kune Kune pigs, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 7
  • Thank you received: 0
18 Jun 2018 09:07 #540424 by Loggaman

My understanding is that only the male flowers that cause seed. Commercial orchards cull out the male trees and usually only have the one. Hence the reason you sometimes get the odd persimmon with seeds from them. If you get a persimmon with lots of seed its probably grown from seed. Persimmons can have male and female flowers on the same tree.
Reading up about propagation it seems the wet paper towel in plastic bag in the fridge seems to be the way to go, is this right ?.


If you cant eat it dont plant it.
Last Edit: 19 Jun 2018 20:37 by Loggaman. Reason: didnt make sense

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 571
  • Thank you received: 1
19 Jul 2018 12:43 #541039 by llvonn

It really depends on which variety of persimmon you want to grow. If you are wanting the astringent variety it is probably easier to buy from a nursery. If you are wanting the astringent variety, seed is probably the only way you will get it as they are as difficult as hens teeth to get hold of.
I grew up eating the astringent variety and think the flavour is far better than the well known fuyu, yet I have been unable to get hold of an astringent persimmon and i have been looking for years.


1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 1537
  • Thank you received: 5
12 Oct 2018 13:50 #542759 by Blueberry

llvonn wrote: It really depends on which variety of persimmon you want to grow. If you are wanting the astringent variety it is probably easier to buy from a nursery. If you are wanting the astringent variety, seed is probably the only way you will get it as they are as difficult as hens teeth to get hold of.
I grew up eating the astringent variety and think the flavour is far better than the well known fuyu, yet I have been unable to get hold of an astringent persimmon and i have been looking for years.


Remind me again next season - a friend of mine has both varieties, i might be able to get you some seeds.

on the non-astringent front, my seedlings are doing well, they are about 100cm high now, and leafing up. Not that i'm holding my breath that there will be fruit this year :lol:


[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 572
  • Thank you received: 39
15 Oct 2018 14:27 #542814 by Furball

I bought an astringent persimmon (Hiratanenashi) from a seller on Trade Me. He does a wide variety of unusual fruit trees, including cider pears, ponderosa lemons and pomelos. The trader's name is "nchun", and if he doesn't have what you want listed, he is usually able to get hold of it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 767
  • Thank you received: 54
15 Oct 2018 16:40 #542816 by Anakei

Furball wrote: I bought an astringent persimmon (Hiratanenashi) from a seller on Trade Me. He does a wide variety of unusual fruit trees, including cider pears, ponderosa lemons and pomelos. The trader's name is "nchun", and if he doesn't have what you want listed, he is usually able to get hold of it.



I've bought several unusual edibles from this seller. I would recommend him highly - his stock has always arrived in good condition and very well grown.


Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds
Go to top