Register

Topic-icon Where to find Boer goats - Canterbury area

• Gyro
  • Gyro's Avatar Topic Author
  • New lsb member
  • Thank you received: 2
04 Jul 2018 22:01 #540784 by Gyro

Hi all. Anyone know where I can find Boer goats around the Canterbury area? I have been searching for a long time but have had no luck finding one. There are quite a lot down south and up north but none around Canti. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 413
04 Jul 2018 22:35 #540785 by Stikkibeek

I'd strongly urge you to look critically at your land before you commit to buying Boers. If it is prone to being wet and muddy during the winter, then boer goats will end up with severe footrot which will be an ongoing problem. They must have dry, preferably hard conditions with some rocks or similar to scramble on in order to keep their feet hard and sound. If you think about the fact that they were bred in dry south African places as meat goats, then you will understand why they are not suitable for many parts of New Zealand. A neighbour of ours ended up putting his goats down due to their ongoing foot problems and he did the right thing as the they got so bad despite vet care, that it was cruel to let them go any longer. The two I have are part boer and it is a constant struggle to keep them sound, but they are my milkers so I persevere.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

• Thank you received: 364
05 Jul 2018 09:49 #540787 by LongRidge

We are on steep country, and have had Boers for many years. They are almost all on their final, final, final warning because of their feet, but they are all pets :-(. Not only damp soil conditions but damp grass causes feet problems.
Also we did not know about their huge susceptibility to sheep health problems. They cannot be run where sheep have been for the previous 2 years, or where sheep are currently grazing.
Getting them killed is also hugely difficult. When they are loaded into the truck, they all pile up in the front of the truck, and have to be dragged out one at a time. When we sent our last lot in we spoke to the stockman and he told us that it took 2 hours to unload a truck of goats, rather than 10 minutes for a load of sheep :-(.
They also die of cold much easier than sheep, so need very good shelter, which gets a muddy floor, which causes foot problems :-(.
My experience of 20 years of Boer goats, for what it is worth ...

• Thank you received: 35
05 Jul 2018 12:00 #540788 by Wren

There is a breeder in Amberley listed on the Rare Breeds Directory:
www.rarebreeds.co.nz/directoryb.html#boer

Even if they don't have any for sale they might be able to point you in the right direction.... Also, there are normally a lot of boer goats at the A&P show so I winder if you could somehow get details of breeders from the A&P association?

Muddling our way through 1Ha on the Christchurch Port Hills, with flocks of heritage chickens, Silver Appleyard ducks, Gotland sheep, and Arapawa goats.

• Gyro
  • Gyro's Avatar Topic Author
  • New lsb member
  • Thank you received: 2
05 Jul 2018 22:15 #540801 by Gyro

Thank you for the tips Stikkibeek and Longridge.
However, I am not too fussed about footrot as they will not be lasting more than 6mos on the land. They are, of course, homekill that's why I am looking for Boers in particular. And I will not be buying commercial quantities; just 4 would be enough.

And thank you Wren for pointing me to the right direction.

• Baroque
  • valued contributor
  • Arapawa sheep wrangler & spinner of fine wools
  • Thank you received: 29
11 Jul 2018 10:23 #540915 by Baroque

Get some Arapawa sheep. Far easier than Boer goats to farm, they are hardier and eat more weeds and don't get footrot and they are very tasty as homekill.

I got rid of my Boer goats for the same reasons as above as well as realising it took twice as long to put 20 Boers through the yards for drenching, vaccinations and hoof care as it did 60 Arapawa sheep. I had to drag every single goat into the handler and they were a complete pain to work with.

At least I could bully the sheep into going where I wanted them too and they don't make unexpected visits to the neighbours, the driveway, the resting paddocks, the bush block, the house, the garden, nor do they dance on the cars or do clog dancing on the deck at 3am because they happen to like getting out!

And the sheep don't do macrame with themselves and get stuck in the fences like my 2 remaining Boer X goats do! They are a total pain....

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 413
13 Jul 2018 11:06 #540934 by Stikkibeek

Baroque not sure if that's macrame or cat's cradle, but the end result is priceless and I imagine very annoying. I have had mine debudded for the past few seasons to prevent those sort of mischief's, but it has got too expensive, so this year they are not getting done. I have just dragged my lovely milking goat up the hill to attend her feet. She is a Saanen Boer cross and I may well be looking for a person who wants a good milker who has dry land. Possibly a big ask in NZ. I'm hoping to get some good doe kids out of this years kidding to keep on. Their father is in a fairly wet paddock as no other place to keep him, as so far, no trouble. He's Saanen and has very hard feet.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

• Thank you received: 124
13 Jul 2018 12:29 #540935 by Hawkspur

Andrea might know of someone. Her place would qualify as dry but I don't think she has boers.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds
Go to top

Get all the latest news along with practical tips and expert advice.